This container will run the boinc_client. It is built so that you can host all the project data external to the container, allowing you run the client on a host and have persistant data.
Before running the container, you'll need to have the following directories predefined on the container host:
It will also need to be owned or read/writable by the user/group root as the boinc_client runs as root in the container. The boinc directory will hold all of your boinc data and make persistant. I used:
for the instructions below. Just make sure you create it prior to starting the container.
docker run --name=boinc -h HOSTNAME -p 31416 -v /data/boinc:/var/lib/boinc-client bcleonard/boinc
Please see the Notes/Caveats/Issues below for more information.
As I said before, /data/boinc will hold all of your project data. You can prepopulate any files you need or let the client initialize it for you.
You will need to configure the boinc_client before it can do any actual work. I recommend running the following:
docker exec boinc boinccmd --join_acct_mgr URL name passwd
which will attach the client to an account manager. This should initialize the client so it starts doing work.
For example, to link the container to boincstats:
docker exec boinc boinccmd --join_acct_mgr http://bam.boincstats.com <username> <password>
Since docker now has the exec command, you can now run commands inside the container. For this container, you can run the boinccmd and use it to configure the boinc_client. The following syntax works:
decker exec boinc boinccmd <boinccmd arguements>
Running the above command without any boinccmd arguements will show you what arguments you can use. For example, to get the state of the boinc client:
docker exec boinc boinccmd --get_state
- -h HOSTNAME - I recommend that you use this option (choose your own hostname) so that your host id for boinc is not the container id.
- I have installed the 32 bit binaries so that projects such as climateprediction will run. However, for some reason, the boinc_client doesn't see them, so 32 bit projects won't run. The same libraries work outside of a container, so I'm not sure whats going on. Its low on my list, but if somebody can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.
- No GUI password. By default, I set a blank password. You can change this by prepopulating /data/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg. If somebody asks, I update the script to generate a randon password on initial startup.
- After starting, I had to manually tell the client to start downloading work. I'm not sure why I had to do that, but I waited almost 8 hours and it still hadn't downloaded any work. After doing that, the work downloaded and it started doing work.
From all the images i checked , this one is the only one it work perfectly
1) docker run -d --name=boinc -h yourservername -p 31416:31416 -v /data/boinc:/var/lib/boinc bcleonard/boinc
2) docker exec boinc boinccmd --join_acct_mgr http://bam.boincstats.com/ boincstats@Email password
3) connected to the container with boinc-client gui , and everithing runs awesome