- Getting Started
- Version Compatibility with Elasticsearch
- Questions? Problems? Suggestions?
If you just want to try Kibana out, check out the Elastic Stack Getting Started Page to give it a whirl.
If you're interested in diving a bit deeper and getting a taste of Kibana's capabilities, head over to the Kibana Getting Started Page.
Using a Kibana Release
If you want to use a Kibana release in production, give it a test run, or just play around:
- Download the latest version on the Kibana Download Page.
- Learn more about Kibana's features and capabilities on the
Kibana Product Page.
- We also offer a hosted version of Kibana on our
Building and Running Kibana, and/or Contributing Code
You may want to build Kibana locally to contribute some code, test out the latest features, or try
out an open PR:
- CONTRIBUTING.md will help you get Kibana up and running.
- If you would like to contribute code, please follow our STYLEGUIDE.md.
- For all other questions, check out the FAQ.md and
For the daring, snapshot builds are available. These builds are created nightly and have undergone no formal QA, so they should never be run in production. All builds are 64 bit.
|Linux||tar deb rpm|
Visit Elastic.co for the full Kibana documentation.
Version Compatibility with Elasticsearch
Ideally, you should be running Elasticsearch and Kibana with matching version numbers. If your Elasticsearch has an older version number or a newer major number than Kibana, then Kibana will fail to run. If Elasticsearch has a newer minor or patch number than Kibana, then the Kibana Server will log a warning.
Note: The version numbers below are only examples, meant to illustrate the relationships between different types of version numbers.
|Situation||Example Kibana version||Example ES version||Outcome|
|Versions are the same.||5.1.2||5.1.2||💚 OK|
|ES patch number is newer.||5.1.2||5.1.5||⚠️ Logged warning|
|ES minor number is newer.||5.1.2||5.5.0||⚠️ Logged warning|
|ES major number is newer.||5.1.2||6.0.0||🚫 Fatal error|
|ES patch number is older.||5.1.2||5.1.0||⚠️ Logged warning|
|ES minor number is older.||5.1.2||5.0.0||🚫 Fatal error|
|ES major number is older.||5.1.2||4.0.0||🚫 Fatal error|
Questions? Problems? Suggestions?
- If you've found a bug or want to request a feature, please create a GitHub Issue.
Please check to make sure someone else hasn't already created an issue for the same topic.
- Need help using Kibana? Ask away on our Kibana Discuss Forum and a fellow community member or
Elastic engineer will be glad to help you out.