step into the directory that contains Dockerfile and run this command:
docker build -t croc/plex .
Start a new container from the image (example):
docker run -tid --name=plex --net=host -v /media/data/:/media/data -v /srv/plex/root:/root croc/plex /opt/start.sh
/media/datafolder contains media files on the host machine
/srv/plex/rootwill store the plex config on the docker host
You can connect to the plex web page with your host IP address and 32400 port, like:
- 192.168.56.101 is the docker host's address in the VirtualBox on the host-only NIC
The start.sh starts the Plex.
But if you got some problem (the plex container stops after start) you can view the error this command:
docker logs plex
Problems and Solutions
Problem: the client (TV, PC, etc) doesn't find any file on the DLNA server
- You have to check the DLNA service on the Plex Web interface, Enable if not enabled
- You need delete the Plex's Cache folder on Host and restart plex container
rm -rf /srv/plex/root/Library/Caches/*
Sometimes this solution doesn't work. I switched back to minidlna (readymedia) because, the new plex versions don't show any files on my LG TV with DLNA service. I don't know the reason, but it is very annoying.
- You should buy a Chromecast device and plug into the TV
- Download the Plex App to your mobile device
- Select your movie in the App and stream to the TV with the Chromecast