LibreMap is a scalable, global and decentralized router database and map visualization for community networks, such as guifi, Altermundi, FunkFeuer, ninux, freifunk, Commotion... It emerged around the is4cwn by merging the maps of AlterMap (Altermundi) and OpenWiFiMap (freifunk).
LibreMap consists of 2 main parts:
- libremap-webui: the HTML5 web app, see libremap.net.
- libremap-api (this repo!): the CouchDB server design document that exposes the LibreMap API.
Goals of LibreMap:
- show the state of all community networks, both on a global and local scale.
- easy to use and extend.
- independent of involved routing protocols and other technical details.
- scale up to global level (>100k routers).
- share open data for community networks.
Under the hood
- Built with CouchDB and GeoCouch.
- HTTP REST API.
- Decentralized/federated with CouchDB's built-in replication.
- Each community can set up its own LibreMap instance (see the install docs) and let it replicate to/from existing instances (see the list of LibreMap instances). The replication may look like this:
Join the LibreMap network!
If you're interested in setting up an LibreMap instance, then head over to the docs and don't be shy if you have questions -- get in touch with us!. When your instance is up and running, please include it in the libremap-instances.json file of this repo.
Bugs and feature requests
Please use the issues tracker if you found a bug or have an idea how to improve LibreMap!
LibreMap is licensed under GPL3.