polly - Polymorphic Volume Scheduling
Storage scheduling for container schedulers
Polly implements a centralized storage scheduling service that integrates with popular
container schedulers of different application platforms for containerized workloads. It is an open source framework that supports use of external storage, with scheduled containerized workloads, at scale. It can be used to centralize the control of creating, mapping, snapshotting and deleting persistent data volumes on a multitude of storage platforms.
Continue reading the full documentation at ReadTheDocs.
- Configure services to interface with schedulers and groups of container runtimes
- Restrict existing volumes and new volumes to services
- Centralized control and distribution of storage resources
- Offer based mechanism for advertising storage to container schedulers
- Framework supporting direct integration to any container scheduler, storage orchestrator, and storage platform
- Basic Volume Management capabilities
What it does
Container runtime schedulers need to be integrated with every aspect of
available hardware resources, including persistent storage. When requesting
resources for an application the scheduler gets offers for CPU, RAM and disk.
To be able to offer persistent storage in a scalable way, the application and
container scheduler needs awareness of the available resources from the
underlying storage infrastructure.
Example intended workflow
The following is an intended workflow for Polly. Today the requests for volumes
come through the container runtimes or libStorage compatible clients directly.
- An application requires highly available storage with a specific set of
- The scheduler receives a request to start the application.
- The scheduler checks with Polly or already is aware of outstanding offers
for storage resources.
- Scheduler send request to container runtimes to start the container with
- Container runtime requests volume access from Polly.
- Container runtime orchestrates process of starting container and attaching
persistent storage with help from a libStorage storage orchestrator.
Framework to support the following platforms
Polly provides an open framework to enable integration to any container, cloud,
or storage platform.
Container runtime schedulers:
- Docker Swarm
- Cloud Foundry
Supported cloud and storage platforms directly comes from the
REX-Ray is a compatible libStoage client
instance that can be ran alongside the container runtimes and remotely talk
- AWS EC2 (EBS)
- Google Compute Engine
- Private Cloud
- Public Cloud (RackSpace, and others)
Planned supported storage platforms:
- EMC ScaleIO
The following command will install Polly. If using
Debian the necessary service manager is used
to bootstrap the process on startup.
curl -sSL https://dl.bintray.com/emccode/polly/install | sh -s stable
You can also install the latest staged release with the following command.
curl -sSL https://dl.bintray.com/emccode/polly/install | sh -s staged
Make sure to create an
/etc/polly/config.yml following this to configure
Polly makes use of the open source storage plugin framework libStorage to enable storage orchestrator tools and container runtimes to make requests of storage. Any storage platform that has a driver implementation for the libStorage framework will work with Polly.