This container is intended for use by HBO-ICT students of the Hanzehogeschool of Applied Sciences (www.hanze.nl),
to do the weekly exercises stated on Blackboard for week 5 and 6. This already contains the data provided in the importscript on Blackboard.
This container is based on the container wnameless/mysql-phpmyadmin (https://hub.docker.com/r/wnameless/mysql-phpmyadmin/) .
From students for students. The hanze or their teacher had no influence in me making this container, neither I or the Hanze can be held accountable for anything that may happen as result of the use of this container.
How to install:
--- PART 1, Install Docker (if you have not done allready) ---
- Unistall VirtualBox (this usually solves most of the installation issues.)
!!!! YOU WILL PROBABLY LOSE ALL VMS! !!!!
- Go to https://www.docker.com/products/docker-toolbox and download the latest version for Windows.
- Install docker toolbox with recommended settings.
- Start the docker quickstart toolbox, and approve all Windows system dialogs.
- When docker is successfull started you will be greeted with a whale "image" .
- You can close the terminal, docker will run in the backgrounf
--- PART 2, Install Container ---
- Start Kitematic (when docker has not started yet it will start when kitematic has started)
- On the first start you can choose to skip the login page. (or create a account)
- SEARCH in the top left for: genie137/hanze-1516-db14wk5
- When you see the "card" for the container, click CREATE.
- Docker will automaticly start downloading the container.
- The container will automaticly be started, if this is not the case:
^^^^ a. Select the container in the list on the left.
^^^^ b. Press START button in the top row.
- Click on the SETTINGS tab on the right.
- In the opened screen press the PORTS tab.
- Check if the ports are the same with the ones I have listed below:
^^^^ Docker Port - IP : port - Connection - Description
^^^^ 22 - 192.168.99.100 : 32773 - TCP - SSH connection
^^^^ 80 - 192.168.99.100 : 32772 - TCP - Webpage connection
^^^^ 3306 - 192.168.99.100 : 32771 - TCP - Mysql server connection
- The kitematic window can be closed, the container will continue to run.
- Stop the container via the same way you started it in step 6 when you shutdown your pc. Just to be safe.
^^^^ Usually the container will be stopped automaticly, sometimes this does not work and data will get lost.
--- PART 3, Connecting To Mysql ---
- Douwnload and install DBeaver http://dbeaver.jkiss.org/
^^^^ You can also use DataGrip or Mysqlworkbench (be aware that this installes much more tools you will never use)
- Open DBeaver.
- In the menu bar click on Database > New Connection
- Select MySQL in the list
- In most cases a popup will open, asking you to download driver files.
^^^^ Press the DOWNLOAD button in the bottom of that window.
^^^^ When done, the window will disappear.
- Type in these settings. You may need to enter other ones based on step 09 of part 2. Enter the mysql server connection settings:
^^^^ Server Host: 192.168.99.100
^^^^ Port: 32771
^^^^ Database: funda
^^^^ User name: funda
^^^^ Password: mysql
- Press TEST CONNECTION to test the entered settings.
- If successfull, Press next twice, and finish after that.
- Doubleclick on the connetion in the left pane.
- You can view the tables in the connection using the arrow in front of the connection.
^^^^ Go to Databases > funda > Tables
^^^^ I've already imported the data.
- To open the SQL editor press CTRL+ALT+L or the 7th icon (paper with green plus sign)
- To execute the statements press the lightning bolt (whole script or one statement) above the tabs where the editor opened.
--- PART 4, Managing via PHPMYADMIN ---
- In your webbrowser go to: 192.168.99.100:32772/phpmyadmin (or else the one determined in step 09 of part 2, use the webpage connection settings)
- Login with:
^^^^ User name: root
^^^^ Password: <leave empty>
- You can perform different tasks here. Search google!
-- PART 5, testing with mysqlslap --
- Douwnload and Install Putty https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty-0.67-installer.msi
- Fill in the IP and Port of the SSH connection determined in step 09 of part 2. Make sure the connection type is SSH.
- Click OPEN, when a dialog about a fingerprint occurs (is to enforce security during the connection) press yes.
- The terminal asks for a user enter: root
- The terminal asks for a password: admin
- You can now use the command mysqlslap, you do not have to use sudo when executing an elevated command.
- When executing mysqlslap use:
^^^^ User: root
^^^^ Password: <leave empty>
- Other than mysqlslap, you can use other commands here (linux terminal). Search Google!
Good Luck. Leave comments for questions.
Send me coffee via paypal: https://goo.gl/ybwUOE