Laverna - note taking web app
The application stores all your notes in your browser databases such as indexedDB or localStorage, which is good for security reasons, because only you have access to them.
- Markdown editor based on Pagedown
- Manage your notes, even when you're offline
- Secure client-side encryption
- Synchronizes with cloud storage services (currently only with Dropbox and RemoteStorage)
- Three editing modes: distraction free, preview, and normal mode
- WYSIWYG control buttons
- MathJax support
- Syntax highlighting
- No registration required
- Web based
There are several ways to start using Laverna:
- Open laverna.cc and start using it. No extra steps are needed.
- Use a desktop app.
- Use a prebuilt version from Laverna/static-laverna repository.
- Build it from the source code.
Desktop app installation
Download the latest Laverna release for your operating system. After downloading the archive, you need to unpack it. Then, in the unpacked folder you need to run an executable (laverna.exe for Windows, laverna for Linux and Mac).
Installation of a prebuilt version
$ wget https://github.com/Laverna/static-laverna/archive/gh-pages.zip -O laverna.zip
2. Unpack the downloaded archive
$ unzip laverna.zip
3. Open index.html in a browser
Open in your favourite browser index.html file which is located inside laverna directory.
Installation from source
To install, do the following:
1. Clone repository:
$ git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:Laverna/laverna.git
2. Ensure you have the node.js platform installed. See OS-specific instructions on their website.
3. Ensure you have the bower and gulp packages installed (locally and globally):
$ npm install bower $ npm install gulp
4. Install Laverna's dependencies:
$ npm install $ bower install $ (cd test && bower install)
5. Build minified version of Laverna:
$ gulp build
6. Start Laverna:
Laverna uses the SJCL library implementing the AES algorithm. You can review the code at:
Published under MPL-2.0 License.
Laverna uses a lot of other libraries and each of these libraries use different licenses.