IBM BigInsights Quick Start Edition for non-production environment, v4.2 Docker Image README
Welcome to the IBM BigInsights® Quick Start Edition Docker image README for the non-production environment. The purpose of the BigInsights Quick Start Edition with Kitematic is to enable developers and data scientists to begin experimenting with IBM BigInsights in a cloud or virtual environment. This version of the Quick Start Edition docker image is capable of running with multiple nodes. If you are processing large volumes of data, handling this data in a reasonable amount of time requires a distributed cluster that would work in parallel. The multinode Quick Start docker image allows you to simulate this distributed cluster environment by allowing multiple nodes to be added to the master node.
For more information about the BigInsights Quick Start Edition and the features it includes, see the IBM BigInsights documentation.
Before you download, ensure that your system meets the minimum requirements:
Setup Wizard requirements
See https://kitematic.com/ for supported operating systems.
Kitematic with Docker 1.10+.
- 4GB RAM
- 300MB disk space
The host operating system Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7.x - 64-bit with Docker 1.10+.
- A minimum of 5 nodes with 4 core processors.
Note: For best performance, we recommend your system have a minimum of 8 processor cores. The product works with fewer processors, by you might experience a significant difference in performance.
- Since you require at least 16GB RAM for IBM Open Platform with Apache Hadoop and the Docker image, your host machine should have RAM that exceeds these memory levels.
- A minimum of 50GB of free space on the host hard disk. The Docker container image size is 3.11GB.
Deploying the Quick Start Edition docker image
About this task
The IBM BigInsights Quick Start Edition (Quick Start Edition) uses the Docker GUI Kitematic to automate and simplify the deployment of the Quick Start Edition.
- Download and set up Kinematic:
a. Download Kitematic to your workstation from https://docs.docker.com/kitematic/.
b. Setup and start Kitematic by following the instructions on https://docs.docker.com/kitematic/.
- Invoke Kitematic by double-clicking the Kitematic icon on your desktop.
- Find the biginsights quick-start docker image and click the CREATE button to download the the docker image, and create and run the container.
- Once the container is created, the status of the container is shown as RUNNING. Find the Home tab and click the invoke button (the upward-pointing arrow) to execute the Quick Start Edition user interface (UI) in a web browser.
- The Quick Start Edition UI guides you through the installation steps for IOP with Apache Hadoop or IBM BigInsights. At the Welcome page, click Next.
- When you see the License Agreement page, accept the license agreement click Next.
At the Node Type page, specify the nodes in your cluster where you want to install IBM Open Platform or IBM Open Platform and BigInsights.You can use existing nodes or acquire Softlayer nodes.
To use existing nodes
- Select the Existing server nodes radio button. Copy the key into the file /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on each of the node in your cluster. Press the Next button
- Click on the Add nodes button to launch the Add nodes window.
- In the Add nodes window, specify the hostnames of five existing server nodes, then click the Find button.
- In the Add nodes window, verify the specified hostnames.
Note: With regard to the installation procedure, the Quick Start Edition only supports hostnames. For installation to existing nodes, if your hosts are behind a firewall edit the /etc/hosts file of the quick-start container to map hostnames to the IP addresses of the existing nodes. If you restart the quick-start container or create a new quick-start container, you need to modify its /etc/hosts file again.
To acquire Softlayer nodes
- In the Node Type window, click the radio button to lease new Softlayer nodes, and specify your SoftLayer username and API key. In the Select SoftLayer Data Center drop-down select a data center and click Next.
- In the Nodes window, click the Add Nodes button to launch the window.
- In the Add Nodes window, select the hostname for the nodes you wish to acquire. You must select five nodes. Click the Find button.
- In the Nodes window, verify the hostnames, then click the Next button.
- In the Installation Mode window, select the radio button for IBM Open Platform, or IBM Open Platform and BigInsights and click Next.
- In the Summary window, you can see installation information such as the hostname and cluster node types set for installation. Review this page. If you see anything you need to change, press the Previous button to go back and modify your settings accordingly. If you are satisfied with the settings, launch the installation by pressing the Next button.
- In the Progress window, you can monitor your installation. You can click the link to the installation log for detailed information. After the Completed status is displayed, press the Next button.
- In the Result window, click the link to launch IBM Open Platform, or IBM Open Platform and BigInsights.
Uninstalling the Quick Start Edition
About this task
Before you reinstall IBM BigInsights Quick Start Edition, you must remove existing Quick Start Edition docker image on all server nodes.
- In the Quick Start Edition interface, click the EXEC icon at the top of the window to open a terminal inside the container.
- In the Quick Start Edition container terminal window, execute the following commands:
sh-4.2# cd BIOrchestrator sh-4.2# python cleanHosts.py hosts.txt
- Close the Quick Start Edition container terminal window at the completion of the uninstallation.
Hints, Tips, and Troubleshooting
Support for the free offerings
Support for the free offerings is provided from the following links:
- Explore the IBM Support Portal for Information Management at https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/support?brandind=information%20management.
- Ask specific questions about Hadoop and the BigInsights value-add services on the forum at https://developer.ibm.com/answers/smartspace/hadoop/.