This is a website for free, curated online courses.
The site is currently online! (no login right now)
How it's unique:
- It is 100% free. There will be no charge to earn certificates.
- It's long-term goal is to offer comprehensive college-level curriculum for a wide variety of topics.
- Courses will be graded and allow students to go back and improve their grades.
- Courses are grouped by major and ordered coherently, instead of a grab-bag.
- It tracks student progress and will offer automatically graded exams, adding a layer of usefulness to sites like MIT OCW which have good content but lack these features.
All dependencies (besides Python) can be installed by running:
$ pip install -r requirements.txt
If you have installation issues, try using virutalenv
$ cd path/to/OnlineU $ pip install virtualenv $ virtualenv venv $ virtualenv -p /usr/bin/python2.7 venv $ source venv/bin/activate $ sudo pip install -r requirements.txt
Then, when you are done:
Initializing the database
$ python database_setup.py
- Go to https://console.developers.google.com
- Create a new project
- Click "credentials"
- Create credentials --> OAuth client ID --> Web applications
- For example: "http://localhost:8080"
- Add a placeholder site under "Authorized redirect URIs", eg: http://www.example.com
- Save the credentials file as
client_secrets.jsonin the main directory.
Adding more courses (optional)
$ sudo python
>>>from database_setup import addCourses >>># page = one of the links from http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-department/ >>>addCourses(page) >>>exit()
Starting the server
$ sudo python project.py
or, using Docker:
$ make image $ make container `
Contributions from anyone are welcomed and very appreciated! This is a very big project and it's going to take a lot of people to make it work. Take a look at TODO.md and the issues page for ideas on how to help.