- Magrit is an online application for thematic mapping (cartography).
- It's intentionally simple (the UI follows the basic steps of map creation).
- It's designed for teaching and learning cartography.
- It lets you import your own geometry dataset (Shapefile, GeoJSON, GML, etc.) and optionnaly your tabular file.
- We also provide many sample datasets to try out the various representations and become familiar with the application.
- It allows to render and combine a wide variety of maps: choropleth, proportional symbols, cartogram, discontinuity, etc.
- It supports the most popular modern desktop browsers: Chrome, Firefox and Opera (+ Edge and Safari with limitations).
- Server-side, Magrit is backed by a python 3.5+ application (particularly for some geoprocessing tasks relying on GDAL, GEOS and PROJ.4 libraries).
- Client-side, Magrit is written in modern JS (ES6) and uses notably the d3.js library.
Most users should go on :
Simple installation / Installation for development
The only targeted/tested OS for development is currently GNU/Linux.
However, you can install it on other platforms, which are supported by Docker (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Windows 64bits, MAC OSX) which is the preferred solution if you want to install Magrit for using it but don't want to do any development:
To install Magrit directly on your GNU/Linux system you have to install some shared libraries and python libraries.
Once installed, the python server application will take care to concatenate/transpile/etc. the JS and CSS code.
These steps are detailed in the Wiki:
<p><img src="https://github.com/mthh/example-magrit-projects/raw/master/nuts3_cagr2.png" height="220"/><img src="https://github.com/mthh/example-magrit-projects/raw/master/cinema_pot2.png" height="230"/><img src="https://magrit.hypotheses.org/files/2017/02/worldpop.png" height="230"/></p>
More maps are available in the gallery.
Contributing to Magrit
Contributions are welcome! There are various way to contribute to the project:
- Feedback and bug reports: don't hesitate to open a issue on this page!
- Translation (French, English and Spanish languages are currently available)
- Code contribution (you're in the right place! Clone the repo, fix what you want to be fixed and submit a pull request)
- Contribute to the gallery by submitting your best maps