The LinuxServer.io team brings you another container release featuring easy user mapping and community support. Find us for support at:
- IRC on freenode at
- Podcast covers everything to do with getting the most from your Linux Server plus a focus on all things Docker and containerisation!
MusicBrainz is an open music encyclopedia that collects music metadata and makes it available to the public. Musicbrainz
docker create --name=musicbrainz \ -v <path to config >:/config \ -v <path to data >:/data \ -e PGID=<gid> -e PUID=<uid> \ -e BRAINZCODE=<code from musicbrainz> \ -e TZ=<timezone> \ -p 5000:5000 \ lsiodev/musicbrainz
-p 5000- the port(s)
-v /config- config files for musicbrainz
-v /data- data files for musicbrainz
-e PGIDfor GroupID - see below for explanation
-e PUIDfor UserID - see below for explanation
-e BRAINZCODE- to enter musicbrainz code. see below
-e TZ- timezone eg Europe/London
It is based on phusion-baseimage with ssh removed, for shell access whilst the container is running do
docker exec -it musicbrainz /bin/bash.
User / Group Identifiers
Sometimes when using data volumes (
-v flags) permissions issues can arise between the host OS and the container. We avoid this issue by allowing you to specify the user
PUID and group
PGID. Ensure the data volume directory on the host is owned by the same user you specify and it will "just work" ™.
In this instance
PGID=1001. To find yours use
id user as below:
$ id <dockeruser> uid=1001(dockeruser) gid=1001(dockergroup) groups=1001(dockergroup)
Setting up the application
- You must register here to recieve a musicbrainz code to allow you to recieve database updates, it is free. Get Code here.
- The initial import and setup of the database can take quite a long time, dependant on your download speed etc, be patient and don't restart the container before it's complete.
- It appears there are issues with unraid and using /mnt/user/cache/appdata instead of /mnt/cache/appdata, use /mnt/cache/appdata.
Logs and shell
- To monitor the logs of the container in realtime
docker logs -f musicbrainz.
- Shell access whilst the container is running:
docker exec -it musicbrainz /bin/bash
- 21.03.2016: Bump to latest server release
- 16.03.2016: Bump to latest server release
- 26.02.2016: Bump to latest server release
- 08.02.16: Switch to PPA version for redis
- 03.01.2016: Remove d/l of sitemaps file, missing from last 2 db dumps,
move fetch of db/dump higher up initialise routine to allow easier resume of broken downloads.
- 15.12.2015: Per latest musicbrainz blog, switched to production branch,
latest stable code is now production branch in place of master.
- 10.12.2015: Initial release date