A simple go program that returns remaining time to next departing MTC bus or train, given a route, stop, and direction
- (Prerequisite) Install Go and configure GOPATH - see https://golang.org/dl/
go get github.com/milsonian/mtcnextbus(or
go installfrom project path if cloned)
Alternatively, you can use Docker (Go development environment not required)
- (Prerequisite) Install Docker - see https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/
docker pull milsonian/mtcnextbus(optional, image will also pull at first run)
mtcnextbus -route "route name" -stop "stop name" -direction "cardinal direction"
mtcnextbus -route "METRO Blue Line" -stop "Target Field Station Platform 1" -direction "north"
This returns e.g.
next departure: 34 Min (per schedule) or an error if there are no remaining departures for that day.
(Actual vehicle report) indicates a real-time vehicle-GPS reported result.
Note: This app depends on internet connectivity to the MTC NexTrip API to function (http://svc.metrotransit.org/)
docker run -it milsonian/mtcnextbus -route "route name" -stop "stop name" -direction "cardinal direction"
docker run milsonian/mtcnextbus -route "METRO Blue Line" -stop "Target Field Station Platform 1" -direction "north"
Development & Contributing
- Install Go and configure GOPATH if you haven't - (step 1 of Installation above)
- Fork this Repo, then clone:
git clone https://github.com/user/pathtorepo.git
- Create your feature branch:
git checkout -b my-new-feature
- Commit your changes, including necessary tests:
git commit -am 'Add some feature'
- Push to the branch:
git push origin my-new-feature
- Submit a pull request - please include result of test run
go test in your project path or
go test github.com/user/mtcnextbus
- Version and add changelog
- Improve/consolidate error handling
- Add debug logging
- Increase test coverage, mock API for tests
- Restructure/reduce duplication (in e.g. unmarshalling, result handling)
- Cache certain responses/reduce spam to backing API
- Return valid routes/stops with flag (similar to behavior with directions)
- Return provider string along with departure (plumbed)
- Add http interface