This is my gentle effort to run GUI based app on container for personal Broswer test Automation.
Note: I have started this experiments with Docker-beta on Mac-OS i never tested boot2docker or docker-machine with virtualbox but it should be work with little change your contribution will be appreciated.
brew install caskroom/cask/cask-brew brew cask install xquartz brew install socat
Expose local xquartz socket
via socat on TCP port 6000 wich give platform to run GUI app on Mac-OS
socat TCP-LISTEN:6000,reuseaddr,fork UNIX-CLIENT:\"$DISPLAY\"
Keep running this in background terminal and use another window
Find Bridge inet address
Check your bridge inet address we will use it to run application
ifconfig bridge100 | grep inet inet 192.168.64.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.64.255
Now all you have to do is pass the DISPLAY address to container in my case as below modify it according to your environment
docker run -it --rm -e DISPLAY=192.168.64.1:0 -v /tmp/.X11-unix:/tmp/.X11-unix paraspatel/firefox:latest
- Cover all maximum flavors of CentOS and Ubuntu with combination firefox and chrome legacy versions
- Create Linux compatibility for boot2docker
- Create VNC support with dokcer-machine to support windows, linux and Mac-OS synergy
- Initial idea to make BrowserStack like automated browser rendering test
- Develop Automated capturing(Image) and recording(video) facility
- GUI based automation tool which can run on minimum infrastructure and dependencies