The LinuxServer.io team brings you another container release featuring auto-update on startup, easy user mapping and community support. Find us for support at:
- IRC on freenode at
- Podcast covers everything to do with getting the most from your Linux Server plus a focus on all things Docker and containerisation!
Plex organizes video, music and photos from personal media libraries and streams them to smart TVs, streaming boxes and mobile devices. This container is packaged as a standalone Plex Media Server.
docker create \ --name=plex \ --net=host \ -e VERSION=latest \ -e PUID=<UID> -e PGID=<GID> \ -v </path/to/library>:/config \ -v <path/to/tvseries>:/data/tvshows \ -v </path/to/movies>:/data/movies \ linuxserver/plex
--net=host- Shares host networking with container, required.
-v /config- Plex library location. This can grow very large, 50gb+ is likely for a large collection.
-v /data/xyz- Media goes here. Add as many as needed e.g.
-e VERSION=latest- Permits specific version selection e.g.
0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21, also supports
public(this forces plex so stick with ). If left blank, auto update is disabled until set.
-e PGID=for for GroupID - see below for explanation
-e PUID=for for UserID - see below for explanation
Special note - If you'd like to run Plex without requiring
--net=host then you will need the following ports in your
docker create command:
-p 32400:32400 \ -p 32400:32400/udp \ -p 32469:32469 \ -p 32469:32469/udp \ -p 5353:5353/udp \ -p 1900:1900/udp
User / Group Identifiers
Sometimes when using data volumes (
-v flags) permissions issues can arise between the host OS and the container. We avoid this issue by allowing you to specify the user
PUID and group
PGID. Ensure the data volume directory on the host is owned by the same user you specify and it will "just work" <sup>TM</sup>.
In this instance
PGID=1001. To find yours use
id user as below:
$ id <dockeruser> uid=1001(dockeruser) gid=1001(dockergroup) groups=1001(dockergroup)
Updates / Monitoring
- Shell access whilst the container is running:
docker exec -it plex /bin/bash
- Upgrade to the latest version:
docker restart plex
- To monitor the logs of the container in realtime:
docker logs -f plex
- 07.04.2016: removed
/transcodevolume support (upstream Plex change) and modified PlexPass download method to prevent unauthorised usage of paid PMS
- 24.09.2015: added optional support for volume transcoding (/transcode), and various typo fixes.
- 17.09.2015: Changed to run chmod only once
- 19.09.2015: Plex updated their download servers from http to https
- 28.08.2015: Removed plexpass from routine, and now uses VERSION as a combination fix.
- 18.07.2015: Moved autoupdate to be hosted by linuxserver.io and implemented bugfix thanks to ljm42.
- 09.07.2015: Now with ability to pick static version number.
- 08.07.2015: Now with autoupdates. (Hosted by fanart.tv)
- 03.07.2015: Fixed a mistake that allowed plex to run as user plex rather than abc (99:100). Thanks to double16 for spotting this.