Debian Docker Base Image with Useful Tools
Dockerfile for extending official Debian image with useful tools, e.g. Git, Wget, etc. The Image is a good starting
point to create your own small images with some handy tools. See Docker Hub
for more details about the image.
- ca-certificates: Brings root certs for trusting secured connections with common CAs.
- cron: Use Cron jobs for scheduling tasks like cleanup processes.
- curl: Swiss army knife to use various number of protocols.
- git: THE version control system.
- nano: Easy editor for modifying files.
- openssh-server: For connecting to the container via SSH and executing commands within.
- rsync: Use it for copying files from server A to server B.
- ssmtp: Tiny mail server for sending mails from your application to the world.
- supervisor: Helper for running multiple processes in a container, e.g. cron and openssh-server.
- unzip: Unpack ZIP archives.
- vim: Powerful editor for nerds.
- wget: The standard for downloading archives.
Log into container via SSH with public key
Mount your public key into the container and define the path with
docker run -d -P -v ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub:/authorized_keys:ro -e "SSH_AUTHORIZED_KEYS=/authorized_keys" servivum/debian
Use sSMTP with external SMTP relay server
sSMTP is like a proxy which delegates the mails to a real MTA like
postfix. With these environment variables it is possible to define a
relay server with the corresponding credentials.
docker run -d -P \ -e "SMTP_HOST=smtp.example.com" \ -e "SMTP_AUTH_USERfirstname.lastname@example.org" \ -e "SMTP_AUTH_PASS=secret" \ -e "SMTP_STARTTLS=true" \ servivum/debian