A simple asynchronous and ephemeral package dependency management system.
Instructions for setup
Start by setting up a machine to host the docker daemon. Digital Ocean has a
quick and inexpensive method for this.
- Login or register an account with Digital Ocean
- Navigate to Docker app droplet creation page
- Select the 'Docker' image
After deploying the docker-ready ubuntu image from Digital Ocean SSH in to the
# Fetch this source code export ROOT_DIR=$HOME/src mkdir -p $ROOT_DIR cd $ROOT_DIR git clone https://github.com/wbbradley/package-man.git cd $ROOT_DIR/package-man # Build the image apt-get install -y make make image # Run the unit tests make test # Run the server make run-pkgman # To run the stress tests cd $ROOT_DIR/package-man/package_contents ./do-package-tree_linux -concurrency 100
If you are on a Mac, and you'd like to be able to virtualize your docker daemon
machine inside of your Mac, Oracle VirtualBox is a good option. It's free and
easy to install.
Notes on using VirtualBox:
- Install docker directly on your mac to allow easy access to the docker
daemon running inside the VirtualBox. (Docker supports remote management.)
brew install docker docker-machine
- Install from
docker-machine create --driver virtualbox default
- Setup port forwarding in VirtualBox (from this page)
- To connect your local docker CLI with your docker machine, in every shell
where you intend to run
eval $(docker-machine env default)