Base docker image including the dotnet cli (RTM) and mono
The microsoft/dotnet image does not have any Mono support.
The previous microsoft/aspnet:latest or :clr tags would allow you to utilise .NET 4.5.1 DLLs with your ASP.NET MVC 6 application.
This docker image intends to fill this gap.
Base operating system
The base operating system is Ubuntu 14.04.
Reasoning for this:
- Attempts were made to inherit from microsoft/dotnet, and install mono (i.e. on Debian Wheezy). The mono apt-get install was not supported on Wheezy.
- Installing dotnet on Debian Jessie (i.e. inheriting from library/mono) caused a lot of issues with out-of-date packages.
- The dotnet install process for Ubuntu 14.04 is very straightforward.
- dotnet cli (1.0.0-preview2-003121) and therefore the dotnet runtime (RTM)
- Mono (version 22.214.171.124)